While Spring Break has yet to wrap for some states, many U.S. travelers are already planning their summer vacations. According to Expedia® data, searches for summer getaways have steadily increased over the last month, with many top destinations seeing double-digit increases week-over-week in March. Destinations seeing a recent spike in interest for June to August travel include Singapore (+60%), Houston (+55%), Bali(+35%) and Washington, D.C. (+35%), indicating travelers are researching getaways both near and far.
These are some of the trending destinations travelers are eyeing for summer getaways, based on recent spikes in flight searches1:
- Beach bliss: Bali (+35%), Maldives (+25%), Santorini (+20%), Los Angeles (+20%), Bar Harbor (+20%)
- U.S. city breaks: Chicago (+40%), Houston (+55%), Washington, D.C. (+35%), Austin (+30%), New York City (+30%)
- Adventures abroad: Singapore (+60%), Stockholm (+35%), Ontario (+35%), Berlin (+30%), Dubai (+20%)
National and state parks and other outdoor destinations are expected to remain popular this summer as top road-trip destinations, including Mount Rushmore, Banff and Yellowstone National Park.
Best times to travel this summer
- August is the cheapest month to fly, with average ticket prices (ATPs) nearly 10% lower compared to July and 5% cheaper than June.
- The most expensive day to fly is July 1st, the Friday prior to the July 4th holiday, when average ticket prices are 25% higher than average for summer months.
- Between June and August, the highest ATPs are generally found on Fridays and the cheapest tend to occur on Tuesdays.
Where to fly under $350 roundtrip
These are a few of the cities where average ticket prices are below $350 for the summer months:
- Fort Lauderdale
- San Antonio
- Myrtle Beach
- New Orleans